When I started this blog in my mid seventies, my intent was to dance forward—age gracefully into the nighttime of my life. I was just a little older than you are now. Barak Obama, a black democrat, was our president. Hillary Clinton, a democrat was our Secretary of State. The congress was turning cartwheels over this and soon gave birth to the nefarious Tea Party, an ultra conservative, backlash with racist/misogynist undertones. Once you claimed the oval office, leaned back, put your two feet on the desk and started signing meaningless executive orders, in huge self-important script, the tea partiers became the Alt-Right, as though two rights couldn’t make a wrong.
I had been fairly unconcerned about the inner workings of politics until the shock of the elections results hit me on the morning of November 9, 2016. Every thing changed after that. At first I was dedicated to activism, paid attention, learned a lot and participated in the resistance movement. The more I learned the more I needed to learn, because what was happening in your White House, your Congress your Supreme Court, the Republican Party of Trump was not the United States Government, with the constitutional checks and balances so essential to a healthy democracy. You and your kleptocrat comrades were surgically removing and throwing aside as much as you could get away with—drop-by-drop. I watched the eroding of the government by the self-centered, morally bankrupt cadre until I couldn’t stand the sight of any of it, and especially you, any longer.
I used to ask how this new, not normal America happened. I don’t ask anymore. It started decades ago in a small snowball that rolled along, picking up detritus as it went, and getting bigger and bigger. Then, when it began to crescendo in the Bush/Cheney regime, Barak Obama entered with his message of unity and hope. The American people chose to set aside racism and elected the elegantly brilliant, empathic, Obama. From that moment on the big snowball filled with detritus as the Rich-Right swung into action, buoyed by the Righteous-Right. You, more than anyone, knows that money talks and most everyone can be bought somewhere down the line. And so they were, and so they continue to be.
You claim to be a Christian. I know you are not. Most of what comes out of your mouth is a lie, but harken to this from 1 Timothy 6:10:
The love of money is the root of all evil, which when coveted after, erodes faith, and pierces through with sorrow.
The New Testament book of Timothy is very small, you probably just missed it. It’s way in the back…just a few pages between Thessalonians and Second Timothy. Easy to miss, but the religious right should know this by heart, unless they are just carrying their Bibles to church and not really reading them. Oh well, apparently memory fails when needs be.
I have tried to return to the original purpose of this blog…to Dance Forward through the aging process with grace and purpose, but I am so often stunned into the middle rooms of silence, worry and regret, that I lose the creative thread needed to speak, dance or sing.
It will take several decades and many good, courageous people to right this badly damaged ship. I will not see restoration in my lifetime and that makes me so incredibly sad. Tears stop at my eyelids; words stop in my throat. This is not what my generation was promised. This is not my America. My America was already great even with its flaws and guffaws. You, Donald Trump, have trampled on the majority of American citizens and clawed at those hoping desperately to be remain in this land of the free, home of the brave. You, Donald Trump, are the most cowardly abusive traitor this country has ever known.
• You are at your core, a majorly successful con artist, hustler—a flim-flam man, nothing more, nothing less.
• You know this about yourself, but are distanced from the knowledge, and the distancing leaves a void in the center where faith, hope, trust should be.
• You have a void that is a huge black hole that nothing can fill, not money, not power, not friends or family…not even the presidency.
• You know all this for seconds at a time, but you lack the personal courage it takes to look, see, embrace and change.
• You have inherited some faulty DNA that prevents your brain from evolving past that of an 8 year-old.
• You cannot change…will never change. You have created your own non-being nightmare of narcissism.
• You are without empathy—one of the essential rudiments for sharing life with others on this planet.
• You engage in delusional fantasies more often than not, calculated to protect yourself from paranoid fears, real and imagined.
• You have elevated lying to a high art. It is your principle and language of choice. Perhaps it began as a childhood game of survival, but now it’s just who you are: a pathological liar.
• You are not a danger to yourself, but you are a toxic danger to anyone who causes you to fear exposure to yourself, as well as to the public.
• You are ruthless in your dedication to self-preservation and self-enhancement. You will throw anyone under the bus that gets in your way…even family members.
• You are fabulous at reading the room and knowing where the marks and the shills are. In another life you would have been traveling through Europe in a circus caravan—the chief and the hawk.
I could go on, but I’m tired now and ready to put you back in your little black box until next breaking news circuit.